Music Banter - View Single Post - The Top 500 Prog Albums - Ever!
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2023, 03:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Queen Boo
From beyooond the graaave

Aww yeah I f*cking love Space Shanty, probably the greatest one album wonder in prog, every track is great but Driving to Amsterdam is my personal favorite, I love that intro, sounds like what you'd get if The Allman Brothers went prog.

Though Khan come from the Canterbury scene it doesn't really sound that Canterbury to me aside from Dave Stewart's organ work, it's closer to the symphonic prog sound of Yes and Genesis than most Canterbury stuff, while Steve Hillage's guitar work gives it more of a heavy psychedelic edge. Nick Greenwood's vocals are a bit over the top which may put some people off but it makes sense when you remember that he used to play bass for Arthur Brown lol.

The musicianship is great all around but Hillage and Stewart are the stars of the show, makes sense they got special credit on the cover.

If you dig this album then definitely check out Steve Hillage's album Fish Rising, it's mostly made up of material that was intended for the second Khan album which never got made because the band quickly fell apart, it has a very similar vibe to Space Shanty and also features Stewart and several musicians from Gong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo
A whole bunch of stupid sh*t that I regret
Queen Boo is offline   Reply With Quote