Music Banter - View Single Post - Into The Breach: Key's Gaming Journal
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2023, 01:09 PM   #17 (permalink)
Key

Default 2004 - Fable

We've had a lot of these types of years show up where it's honestly difficult to choose just one to talk about. And sometimes I make exceptions, but this time I won't. Seriously though, the 2000's were some of the greatest experiences I've ever had with gaming, and that's credit to just the amount of quality games we got during these years, and this year specifically. And as much as I would like to go with KOTOR's sequel, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords, which is another one of my favorite games of all time, i'm actually going to talk about Fable instead. Which, if you guessed it, is certainly up there. Though in this case I prefer Fable Anniversary over the original, but seeing as this came out in 2004 and was basically the start of it all, I think it's perfect fair to talk about it. So I'm going to.

Back in the day, I think Fable was one of the first times if not the first time I ever got super hyped about a release. Before this, I hadn't really paid too much attention to game trailers and the like, as I had not really understood the process of marketing a game with trailers etc. So I sort of just became blind to it. I usually knew about a new release by seeing screenshots of it in a magazine or word of mouth. It wasn't until around this time that I stumbled upon an early trailer for Fable, and it was my sole focus until it was fully released. And man, what a great game. Anybody who has played Fable or any of the games in the past will tell you that even though the series sort of lost its way throughout its sequels, both Fable I and Fable II are shining example of how to properly make a really fun RPG, and while Fable III does struggle to find its way, it's still got a lot of good moments that make it worth playing through. Though I think at this point, they sort of lost track of what they were trying to do with the series. I still enjoy all 3 games for different reasons, but Fable still reigns as the best of the 3. At least until we get this new Fable coming at some point in the future, I'd hope.

One of the coolest things about Fable is just how powerful you can make your character whether you focus on Strength, Skill, or Will. You can have a powerful spellcaster, or someone that's really good with a bow. Or just go all out brute strength and just destroy people with swords and brute force. The choice is yours, and I've done a playthrough of each gameplay style, and all offer their own little tricks to make it a joy to go through. And just like KOTOR, I've probably lost count of how many times I have played through Fable, Fable: The Lost Chapters, and Fable Anniversary. And even though these games are as old as they are, I can guarantee you given that I played through these somewhat recently, they hold up. If you haven't gone through and played the original Fable in a while, I highly suggest it. It's still one of the most fun gaming experiences out there.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote