Music Banter - View Single Post - Into The Breach: Key's Gaming Journal
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2023, 01:46 PM   #18 (permalink)
Key

Default 2005 - Psychonauts

Psychonauts was released this year. I looked through the other games and I can't possibly talk about anything other than Psychonauts, so I'm going to do that for 2005. That's not to say this year was bad, but it's certainly the first year I've come up on that has somewhat lack luster releases. Still some that shine through though, but definitely nothing close to the previous years. But yeah, Psychonauts should be talked about anyway so it's worth it for many reasons.

This game is a mind****, and I mean that in the best way possible. All I remember when I played through this game originally is just remembering all the crazy stuff that's going on around you, whether it's focusing on mental health, or the game is simply trying to make you feel like you're going insane. And additionally, being released in a time where graphics weren't super perfect, but we're making improvements as time went on. And honestly, having played through Psychonauts relatively recently, I can say that the game still looks good despite it looking old in some cases. However, we did just get a sequel for this and man, as beautiful as that game looks, I didn't get as much out of it as I did the first one. The sequel sort of felt more like the first with a bit of improvements, but not enough to where I feel a sequel is justified. Honestly, I really was only excited about the sequel because it meant the developers could come back and work on an IP that is honestly fantastic. So that's really cool for me, and on top of that, despite me not enjoying the game as much as I thought I would, it's not really a bad game. Just doesn't do enough. But, who knows, maybe they'll make a 3rd one.

I really don't want to go into too much detail because the game is worth more as a personal experience, but just know that if you do decide to take the plunge, both this and the sequel are worth playing at least once.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote