Music Banter - View Single Post - Into The Breach: Key's Gaming Journal
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2023, 01:06 PM   #21 (permalink)
Key

Default 2006 - The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

I'm sure everyone knows this year in gaming as being the year that the notorious Sonic 06 was released, and don't you worry, I won't be talking about that one, either ironically or unironically. I've seen enough of that game throughout the years to the point that I don't feel like it's even close to being worth my time. Besides, we're here to talk about my favorites, so I'm gonna do that. Unfortunately, 2006 also seems to be a year where yeah, we had a lot of great releases, but nothing too crazy or ones that standout too much. Though, that's not to say we didn't get anything of quality. And although I didn't play the game that I'm going to talk about until a few years after it released, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is the only one I really feel comfortable talking about as it's the one I have the most time with as far as the other games are concerned.

It's a great game, and whether it has aged well throughout the years is really up to the person playing it. I think the game still holds up regardless of how it looks because the gameplay is the part that I tend to have the most fun with in these games. Not to mention how broken this game is and how quickly you can become an overpowered powerhouse. Either that, or you'll find yourself launching yourself halfway across the map at full speed. It's the broken-ness of this game that allows it to stick around as long as it has. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim had the same thing with the addition of mod support. Allowed the game to live on far longer than it otherwise would have. And I think it's really cool to see that even in this day and age, these games will still stick out to players as being its own unique rich experience.

I think what was really helpful for my enjoyment of this game is that I did play it much later, so a lot of the glitches and mods etc were already available, so it was not only fun to go through the game on its own, but then to be able to try out the "breaks" that make the game really fun. I usually have a good time with these types of games in general which is why Bethesda is still up there as far as favorite developers, though they haven't really done a lot in recent years that gets me too overly excited. I'm just waiting for the next Skyrim, or the next Fallout, and hopefully either if not both will be great.

The other part of why I've always loved these types of games like Fallout and Oblivion, is because whether you have a few minues or a few hours, you can always feel like you're accomplishing something whether it's just reorganizing your inventory or exploring to the next town. These games allow for a lot of open ended gameplay and that's certainly another big reason for why they have still managed to stay relevant. And hell, I would certainly recommend even today to play through Oblivion if you haven't yet. Especially if you have already played Skyrim. Both are great for different reasons, and both are still worth playing today. But...gimme Elder Scrolls 6 please.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote