Music Banter - View Single Post - MB Album Club 2022
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2023, 04:06 PM   #672 (permalink)
SGR
No Ice In My Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
That's a great review,SGR, because it puts Paul's Boutique into context and also guided me towards what I should be looking for in the Beastie Boys.

First up, the lyrics to High Plains Drifter are wonderful: references, jokes, images and a wild story are all piled on top of each other in a road-trip adrenal rush:

Next, on your rec, I took another look at Hey Ladies. Yep, nice cowbell and again the lyrics are well worthy trying to catch. I played the song again, and wondered if it's just the speed of their delivery that is difficult for me. So (thank you, Youtube) I found this:-

Apart from the weird voice quality, I quite liked this speed, tbh. I am still lost on the samples, but found it easier to follow the lyrics. (The "She got a gold tooth..." starts at 3:10). Again they are a dazzling collection of tight-packed ideas, so thanks for teazing them out for us:

I loved this vision of the young SGR ! Thanks. It reminds me so much of how I used to feel about the Trout Mask Replica album: getting pent up and frustrated after a day at High School, then coming home to enjoy an intense album, packed with detail, that most people thought sounded awful - but for me it was my refuge and my rebellion.
I'm glad I was able to provide you a little more context to the album Lisna! And I gotta say, I'm really appreciative of the fact that you're trying to understand why some hold the album in such high esteem, even if you yourself don't particularly enjoy it - that's commendable!

I've heard many albums that are critically lauded that I don't really vibe with - but I do try and understand why others like it so much, most of the time (one such album for me would be Neutral Milk Hotel's In The Aeroplane Over the Sea).

To provide more info about the "young SGR", I was a ride operator at a children's amusement park at the time, for a number of years. So I'd be going into work listening to this album before I operated a ferris wheel, a train, or a rollercoaster (among many others) - and believe me, this album (and I had multiple others too) was great for boosting my mood in the morning commute to prepare to deal with the customers with a smile (it was always the adults who were the problem, never the kids). If I had gotten into Trout Mask Replica as a kid, I'd have probably adopted "Fast and bulbous!" as a catchphrase I said to friends at random moments in school just to confuse unknowing onlookers. The Fall were that band for me in college. I'm sure you could imagine how many people would say: "How do you enjoy this? He can't even sing!"

Per your Hey Ladies comments, I think the Beastie Boys might be more difficult to understand as a result of the way they trade off lines so sporadically - it's not just the speed of the rapping, but also the speed at which a different voice comes in. Different voices, different inflections, always shifting. This isn't really the norm in rap music. You wouldn't have this problem with say, Wu Tang Clan, who has 9 members, since they generally have one member complete an entire verse before passing the mic to a different member. It's not as sporadic.

Regarding the samples, just in case you missed the video I posted a few pages back, this 14ish minute video goes through all the samples on the album - first, it shows the sample in the context of the original song - and then it shows how that sample was used in the album. You'll probably feel silly once you see it in regards to missing the sample of The Beatles 'The End' :

SGR is offline   Reply With Quote