Music Banter - View Single Post - Yes or No? Tales from Trollographic Oceans
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2023, 10:38 PM   #59 (permalink)
Queen Boo
From beyooond the graaave

My biggest disagreement with Troll so far, Fragile is my second favorite Yes album and yes I enjoy the solo tracks too, hell The Fish is one of my favorite tracks on the album, I don't think it's wank at all, it starts out very simple and only becomes more complex as it builds up with each bass overdub carefully layered over each other and I think it sounds f*cking awesome specially when the vocals come in, also the way Howe's guitar solo at the end of Long Distance Runaround segues into it is really cool.

Even Cans and Brahms is pretty charming in it's own kitschy way even if it is the weakest moment on the album, the reason Wakeman chose to cover Brahms for his solo track is because he was still signed with another label as a solo artist and wasn't able to have songwriting credits on the album so he couldn't use one of his own compositions.

Roundabout is a track everyone agrees is great but Heart of the Sunrise is the real highlight for me and it's the one that comes closest to the symphonic sound they would achieve with the next album which I'm well aware Troll also dislikes, I don't agree at all that it's lacking in structure or memorable melodies, there's a neat new hook being added like every 30 seconds, I admit the first time I heard it I thought the transitions from one section to another were too abrubt but the more I listened to it the more I realized how it all came together. It's one of my favorite Yes songs.

Also their cover of America is great, I wish they did more covers because the way they did covers was just use the original song as a jumping off point to go into an extended jam, kinda like what Phish does all the time. Could you imagine Yes covering Louie Louie or something? That would be hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo
A whole bunch of stupid sh*t that I regret

Last edited by Queen Boo; 02-15-2023 at 11:24 PM.
Queen Boo is offline   Reply With Quote