Music Banter - View Single Post - Into The Breach: Key's Gaming Journal
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2023, 01:03 PM   #22 (permalink)
Key

Default 2007 - Team Fortress 2

There are quite a few games from this year that are worth talking about, but I'm going to touch on one that changed my whole perspective of online gaming in general, for good and bad. This was a pretty good year for gaming in general with titles like Bioshock and Mass Effect, but I probably spent a majority of my time or at least more time than I have with the other titles with Team Fortress 2. This is one of those games where I consider it to be a staple in my development of understanding games as a whole as well as getting into playing online more than I had been prior.

I've never been the biggest fan of online first person shooters because they all feel the same to me. And unfortunately, given that I don't really have quick reflexes, I've never been able to get very good at them. That's where Team Fortress 2 differs for me and I'm sure a lot of people. It was a place where I could feel like I could enjoy playing a first person shooter while also enjoying the absurdity that happens in the game, regardless of which class you choose. I always have enjoyed playing either scout because their quick, and with the baseball bat and guillotin combo, you're basically unstoppable. Or playing as the archer but instead using the bow and arrow. Yeah that weapon was pretty cheap and people didn't think it was skillful to use it, but it was fun. And that's the more important aspect for me is that "am I having fun?" Mix that up with a lot of fun game modes like payload or team deathmatch, you'll always find some way to enjoy your time in this game.

A lot of servers allow you to do things that you wouldn't otherwise be able to do in the normal game like shoot thousands of rockets at once, or fly in the air at ridiculous levels of speed. These servers were always fun to play when you kind of just wanted to chill out and have a good time without the stress of the main game. As much as I played this game back in the day, I have not even touched it in recent years. I have thought about going back and playing a little bit, but I worry that there won't be as many people playing as their once was. But, there's really only one way to find out if that's true or not. Hell I may decide to just boot it up tonight and play. Could be a fun time.

Like I said, at least for me, Team Fortress 2 was a way for me to sort of just submerse myself into the gameplay without really feeling the stress of having to be amazing at the game, because in some cases, you'll find yourself in servers where everyone is either really bad or is just there to be funny and annoying while also pretending to be really bad. I've had times where I'll spend hours in one server because everyone in the server decided to do something different than what was the objective at hand. And the servers that gave no time limit on rounds or just stayed on one level allowed for more hilarious things to ensue. Sometimes it's those moments or craziness and insanity that really made this game standout amongst the rest.

I do think that if I decide to jump back in, i'll probably have as much fun if not more fun playing. And hell, it could be fun to relive old times and allow the nostalgia to take over.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote