Music Banter - View Single Post - Into The Breach: Key's Gaming Journal
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2023, 01:10 PM   #23 (permalink)
Key

Default 2008 - Fallout 3

Honestly, I'm just going to copy and paste a previous review of the game I'm talking about here because I went further in depth in that review than I could possible do here. My opinions of the game have not changed which is precisely why I'm choosing to put it here for 2008. Other games just don't even come close, except for maybe Fable II. So, here's part 1 of 4 of my in depth look at Fallout 3. If you'd like to read parts 2, 3 and 4, just continue reading from the point of this quoted post and you'll see the next few parts:

Quote:

Fallout 3 (An In Depth Look) pt.1

And here we go, finally a time in my journals life where I'll be going really in depth talking about one of my favorite games of all time, Fallout 3. I'm serious, if you were to ask me right now, a year ago, even two years ago, I still would've said that Fallout 3 is one of my favorite games of all times. It's switched ranks multiple times throughout the years but it's consistently stayed in my top 3 games I've ever played, and I plan to go into that as much as possible because I feel it's both appropriate and I really want to go in depth as to my experience and the overall feeling I get when I talk about or play Fallout 3.

This will be in multiple parts as I've got a lot to talk about, but I'll start things off easy by simply talking about my own experience and why this game is so near and dear to my heart.

I know this has been said many times before in other posts, hell I've even talked about Fallout 3 specifically before, but up until now, I don't think I had a necessarily dedicated theme month or place to talk about it, and I just figured why not? So, what makes Fallout 3 great? Looking at it from a different perspective, you see a game with not the greatest graphics, but something about it is enticing. I was familiar with Fallout 3 before I had actually played it to completion, but I never really understood it as it was one of my first experiences with a Bethesda style RPG. Hell, I didn't even know who Bethesda was. But the game looked like it could be fun and around the time I started playing it, I was heavily getting into these style of games, so it fit perfectly.

When I started it up (I was on PC at the time) the age of the game showed right away with it being programmed to use Windows Games Live or whatever it's called. So, from the get go, modding was necessary. You have to get both a mod to bypass the Windows Live sign in and you have to download a patch which allows the game to play longer than 10 minutes before it crashes. Once you do that little bit of troubleshooting, Fallout 3 opens up. And it opens up as you as a child, your first look into what you're about to get into.

The opening dialogue with your father and your journey through the vault is definitely something I'll remember though I'm not really surprised to see that other Fallout games have gone this route as well. I mean, it makes sense. The world is in its own post apocalypse, so of course you need shelter. Go through the quests in the vault and you can finally get out into the once lively Washington D.C.

Again, before I had played this game, I had seen some images of Washington D.C. in Fallout 3, but I didn't realize just to the extent of what I'd be seeing in this game. Of course, the game doesn't start you right in the middle of the mall, no, you're met with a vast dead world just waiting for you to explore it. And on I went.

One of the first things I walked up on was the town of Megaton, which if you've played Fallout 3 before, you'll know why this place is so great. Long story short, Megaton seized to exist on my first playthrough.

What I love about this particular scene in the game is the fact that it's really giving you a good idea as to why kind of decisions you can make and the people you'll meet in the world. This of course led me to one of my favorite locations in Fallout 3, Tenpenny Tower.

I love this place. I loved going through another playthrough and sniping Allistair Tenpenny at the top without him even realizing I was there. But on my first playthrough, I decided to make Tenpenny Tower my home. I didn't let the ghouls take it because...well I wanted it. And just in general, this building is just an awesome building to explore, while there isn't a whole lot left to look at once you explore it. But I also enjoy going out to the deck on the top floor and just looking out. Again, realizing the true vastness of this game.

Admittedly, the game can seem desolate at times, but that's exactly what I want in a post apocalyptic game. I don't want an experience like Fallout 4 where the game feels lively and growing. That's not Fallout to me. Fallout to me is the feeling of angst and depression as you walk through the ruins of D.C. and look at all the historical landmarks post-apocalypse. Lincoln without his head is one worth mentioning, but there's another one that gave me chills the first time I ever saw it.

Yessir, I'm talking about the White House. You can find it in Fallout 3, or at least what's left of it. Which is nothing at all. But if you make your way into the crater, you'll be met with a Fat Man and some nukes. Get your radiation suit though, you'll need it. I think just the thought of the White House being completely destroyed in the war is enough to fill me with dread, but in a good way. I legit was in this one location for quite some time, and I always went back. There's a lot to be said when a game can create a particular atmosphere much like this one.

That's Fallout 3 in general though, the atmosphere. I don't think I would've nearly enjoyed this game as much as I did if it weren't for the depressing atmosphere that filled you over and over again. However, we'll be getting into that in more depth in part 2. But to end this part on a high note, Fallout 3 is not only my favorite Fallout game in the series, but it's the one game that I will always say needs a true remaster. I'd play the **** out of it. Hell, I'd play the **** out of it now.
https://www.musicbanter.com/members-...ml#post2040090
Key is offline   Reply With Quote