Music Banter - View Single Post - The Top 500 Prog Albums - Ever!
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2023, 02:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

And so we travel a year forward in time, to the heady year of 1973, when Pink Floyd released their seminal Dark Side of the Moon, but at number 9 on the list for this year we find this, our first RPI album, but surely not our last.

Album title: Felona E Sorona
Artist: Le Orme
Nationality: Italian
Sub-genre: Rock Progressivo Italiano
Year: 1973
Position on list for that year: 9
Chronology: 4 of 20 (or 21, see below)
Familiarity with artist: 3
Familiarity with album: 1
Gold Rated track(s): Felona, The Plan, Return to Naught
Silver Rated track(s): None
Wooden Rated track(s): Sorona
Comments: This album appears to have been released both in Italian and English versions, though oddly enough, none of their other twenty albums have been. I don’t know if it was just that it was so successful, some sort of breakout album, that it had to be re-recorded for the English-speaking market, or what, but in the same year there are two versions. Truth to tell, there are three versions of this album, another one put out in 2016, which looks like it might be a two-disc version of both Italian and English releases. Guess it must have been really popular. Obviously, for my own sake, I’m going to try to get the English language version if I can. And I can’t. Okay, despite YouTube giving me an option to search for the English version the only one that comes up is the Italian one, so I guess for now I’m stuck with that.

This is even shorter than the Khan album, clocking in at just over a half-hour, with the longest track on it being the opener, at nearly nine minutes, but the rest of them are really quite short. An interesting thing, I would think, for an RPI band to decide to do. I guess you can see how Genesis became so popular in Italy, when this kind of thing was going on all over the country. I mean, I’m not sure if RPI came about as a result of, at the same time as, or before Peter and the boys, but there’s very definitely an early Genesis feel to this opener, though I do also hear a lot of classical in it, mostly Bach’s “Toccata and Fugue”. Is it all instrumental I wonder? With a nine-minute opener you’d have to imagine no, but then, some bands have done that. This Winter Machine even have a ten-minute one - but no. There are the vocals now, and though I’ve no idea what’s being sung, the voice is very clear and serene, at least on this track.

Tubular bells I think opening the second track which has, if anything, a very Spanish feel to it, with acoustic (Spanish?) guitar in a sort of singalong rhythm, almost nursery rhyme in its way (Nursery Cryme? All right, TH: enough with the damned comments in brackets! What brackets? Don’t play dumb: you know the ones I mean. Oh, those brackets! Yes, those ones) - uh, where was I? Oh yeah. Some flute coming in and a VERY Alan Parsons sound (yes yes I know) with rippling piano and some really nice vocals on “Felona” (which I can’t help thinking of felony but I’m sure it’s a name or something - the English language version doesn’t translate it so that’s why I imagine it’s a name). Ramping things up for “The Maker”, the other “long” track - just shy of six minutes - with a galloping bass line and sort of shots on the keyboard, very dramatic. And then a piece that sounds ripped out of Genesis’s “Fountain of Salmacis”, though since both albums came out in the same year I don’t know who copied who, if anyone, or if it’s just coincidence.

Great sort of boogie piano then running along to take us into “Web of Time”, a slow, melancholy ballad with another recognisable melody or motif in it, right it’s from one of the SKY tracks, the album recorded ten years later, so again, one or the other. Either SKY copied this bit or heard it or, which is more likely, just one of those things. Sounds like a motorbike revving now - guess it’s guitar effects - as “Sorona” comes in, and this one is short too, just shy of three minutes. Can’t say I particularly like this one honestly. That constant revving sound is very very annoying and it doesn’t stop, runs right through the entire track. Maybe it has something to do with the song; don’t know and don’t care. Next up is “The Plan”, coming in on a shimmery descending keyboard line with possibly warped guitar or something and maybe (though I doubt it) something like a theremin? Very spooky and weird, then “The Balance” has again that kind of breezy Spanish or Latin feel, with acoustic guitar and a few blasts on the organ, and a low-key vocal, and we end with “Return to Naught” which seems to be a kind of reprise of the “Toccata” that opened the album.

Overall I’d say this is a decent RPI album, but like with many of them - and not just due, I think, to the language barrier - I find it a little hard to engage fully with it. On repeated listenings I feel it would probably click more with me, but I’ve 498 albums to go and I don’t have the time for repeated listenings. I reckon it probably deserves its place on the list, though I feel there may be better RPI albums out there. Still, Le Orme are one of the giants of the scene, so it would not be fair to ignore that. Be interesting to see if we encounter them again in any future year lists. I’m sure we will.

Personal Rating: 8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fkQH8jKx5A