Music Banter - View Single Post - Into The Breach: Key's Gaming Journal
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2023, 02:38 PM   #25 (permalink)
Key

Default 2010 - Halo: Reach

As soon as this year came up during this journal discussion, I already knew right away that I wanted to talk about Halo: Reach, and there are so many reasons for that. I'll do my best to go over as many of those reasons as I can considering even when comparing this to other Halo games before it and released since then, I can still say without a doubt that Halo: Reach is my favorite Halo game. And I know I'm not alone in thinking that. Hell, I think there are a lot more people that choose this or Halo ODST as their favorites given that, from what I can tell, both games offered something different enough in both respects to give the player exactly what they wanted out of the game. And unfortunately for me, I did not enjoy Halo ODST nearly as much, but not a bad game in its own right. Halo: Reach just hit all the right notes with me. It reminds me of what I played through the campaign of Call of Duty: Black Ops and just absolutely loving it. I felt much the same when going through the campaign of Halo: Reach. Everything about it is great, and really feels like Halo at its best.

As I mentioned, I think a lot of people along with myself would definitely agree that the series definitely was at one of its highest peaks when this and ODST came out. I just remember only hearing about Halo for years on end, and while that sentiment is still very much the same today, the series is nowhere near what it used to be. Halo Infinite was just a complete disappointing despite me putting it as my favorite game of that year. Though, I regret to inform you that that is no longer the case. At the time, it felt fitting. But as I continued on playing, my hate for the game just grew more and more. Halo: Reach on the other hand did much the opposite. From when I started playing the game for the first time to the minute I finally put it down, I honestly can't think of a time where I hated the game for something it did. Hell, it actually improved the series as a whole by bringing in a story that is once again, really interesting and fun to play through. The original Halo, Halo 2 and even Halo did this well, by not only giving fun gameplay, but a really good story to top it all off. I don't think Halo has really been the same since then. And again, we all thought they would redeem themselves with Halo Infinite, but they only dug themselves deeper.

Halo: Reach from what I remember is a prequel of sorts to the events that eventually took place in Halo. I have always enjoyed the ideas of prequels for games, because it opens up a whole world of possibilities that the creators can find themselves on. And while some games may not do it as well *cough* Borderlands The Pre-Sequel *cough*, I'm happy to say that Halo: Reach definitely did it well. I can also easily say that I would play through this game again and again even today. And I remember playing through this game at least 3 times back when it originally released. I just liked the overall feel of the gameplay and the great story.

Now, what I will say is that although Halo: Reach is my favorite Halo game of all time, I have to give credit to the Master Chief Collection which not only gives you tons of Halo content to play through, but also does so by providing you with a remastered version of all of them. And man, playing through Halo and Halo 2 in its remastered glory is truly breathtaking. I thought the games looked great back in the day much like I felt about Fable. But I have nothing against someone putting a fresh coat of paint on a game especially if it improves it. And the Master Chief Collection achieves that, and more.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote