Music Banter - View Single Post - The Country, Folk & World Recommendation Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2023, 01:39 AM   #1141 (permalink)
Safar
Music Addict

Quote:
Although Rahel Yohannes is a formidable singer who has performed professionally for more than 20 years, her entrance into the music business was almost by coincidence. As the manager of an Ethiopian restaurant, Rahel would frequently entertain her customers by singing acappella for them. Her patrons began to look forward to her impromptu performances and, one evening, one of these admirers brought the late Ketema Mekonnen – a well-known singer and player of traditional musical instruments – to the restaurant and asked Rahel to join him in a song.
Rahel Yohannes - Arada (Ethiopia)

Quote:
I would describe my style or genre of music as “Antsar” (meaning perspective). What I mean by Ansar is it depicts the music from the surrounding. I believe people are used to pop, RnB, Reggae, Hip Hop, Jazz and so on. However, for me a hint or a music from all of them combined with old and current music brings with it a sweet spot of music which was initially untapped.
Kassmasse Feat. Protoje - መላ መላ Mela Mela (Remix) (Ethiopia)

Spoiler for Kassmasse - ማለዳ Maleda:

Quote:
As a child, Kibrom studied Ethiopian orthodox chanting and traditional instruments at a monastery, later melding thousand-year-old musical histories with modern sounds.
Kibrom Birhane - Mender (Ethiopia)
Safar is offline   Reply With Quote