Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart's Chart Fifty
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2023, 02:31 PM   #31 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Back in time we go again then, to see what was topping the chart in 2011. Oh look, it's yer wan.

Title: “We Found Love”
Artist: Rihanna featuring Calvin Harris
Nationality: Barbadian (and Scottish)
Genre: Electro-House, Dance Pop
Written by: Calvin Harris
Original release date: September 22 2011
Progress to the top: Came straight in, but after spending three weeks at number one made a very slow drop to 3 and then 2, then experienced a resurgence and again took the number one spot for another three weeks. Dropped over four weeks to number 10 and then returned to number 5 a week after that, starting to drop then, almost leaving the top 40 on February 24 but yet again rallied and came back to the number 26 spot by March. After that it sort of bounced up and down a little but the highest it got was 39 on May 5, after which it began its slow retreat out of the top 100, falling finally to the bottom on August 18 2012.
Weeks spent at number one: 3 (6 non-consecutive)
From the album: Talk That Talk
What do I know about this artist? Very little. I’ve heard that song about the parasol and I know she was involved in various things but again she’s way outside my wheelhouse.
What do I think of this single? Meh. It’s pretty empty. As most reviewers have pointed out, it’s basically the one line repeated, and it gets tiresome. The house beat is enough to make you either want to get high and dance your brains out or dash those brains out on a wall. I know which I’d choose. No, it’s not the first. Hey, I admit it can be seen as catchy, infectious. But then, so is Covid.
What have I learned about this single? That it was written by Calvin Harris, who was pretty much unknown outside of his home shores, but that this made him a household name. Possibly the first time she teamed up with anyone. Or not. Don’t care.
My rating: C+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg00YEETFzg