Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2023, 02:46 PM   #18435 (permalink)
SGR
No Ice In My Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadis View Post
I knew a guy like that once, you'd mention a band he liked and he'd go "yep got all of their records." But the Beatles reissue collector is a very specific phenomenon based on what I've seen.
The Beatles were/are huge in terms of influence. That probably plays a role in it. So assuming someone is big into their music, they have an endless trove of things to buy and collect - and not only just represses.

And in addition to that, many of these collectors probably convince themselves that the items/records/memorabilia they collect will only go up in value. They probably, at least in some cases, view it not only as a purchase for pleasure, but also as a possible investment that they could make a profit on in the future if they needed to. Given the pedigree of the band, that's probably true in some cases (but not all).

Ever seen episodes of Pawn Stars? If you brought them a sought after rare pressing of a Beatles record, they'd be all over it. If you instead brought them a rare sought after pressing of a Fall record, they probably wouldn't be even halfway interested.

In scale and volume, Beatles fanatics are probably a special breed - but that is certainly in due part to the volume and scale of Beatles remasters/represses/reissues and of course the status of the band.
SGR is offline   Reply With Quote