Music Banter - View Single Post - The Top 500 Prog Albums - Ever!
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2023, 06:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

And so to 1974, where I’m somewhat depressed to find this at number 8.

Album title: Rock Bottom
Artist: Robert Wyatt
Nationality: English
Sub-genre: Canterbury Scene
Year: 1974
Position on list for that year: 8
Chronology: 2 of 11
Familiarity with artist: 3
Familiarity with album: 2
Gold Rated track(s): Alifib
Silver Rated track(s): None
Wooden Rated track(s): Sea Song, Little Red Riding Hood Hit the Road, Alife, Little Red Robin Hood Hit the Road
Comments: I’ve heard, in the course of my History of Prog journal, two of Wyatt’s albums. I do not recall enjoying either. Given that he’s one of the leading lights behind Soft Machine, and my opinion of their first four or five albums, that’s not entirely surprising. It’s a bit off-putting that I’m faced with another CS album so soon, but then, this is the list and it’s not like other projects where I randomly choose and can - if I wish (ssshh!) - cheat. Here, there is nowhere to hide, and what’s on the list is what I have to listen to and review. And so, by that measure, I have to listen to and review this.

But I don’t have to like it.

And I doubt I will.

Nice slow little Beatles-like opener anyway, very lazy and sort of swaying along, then the piano gets a bit discordant and the vocal when it comes in is a little weak at first, but then gets stronger and reminds me of early Divine Comedy yes I know. Well there are only six tracks on this, and none are epics so maybe it won’t be so bad. Another forty-minute album: don’t these people know what prog is? Well anyway this is called “Sea Song” and it soon gets really annoying with all the atonal stuff and some sort of clarinet or something going in the background, or maybe it’s flute. The choral vocals (probably a Prophet; were they around in 1974?) adds something to the song, but it’s not one I can say I like, not at all. The title track is a little better but I just don’t like the guy’s style at all. I don’t know what it is about him; maybe it’s the way the music keeps going sort of out of tune, which I’m sure is intentional but certainly is annoying to me, or maybe it’s his habit of vocalise all the time, like scat singing. I mean, can he not sing lyrics?

We get all free jazz and improvisational then (how I hate that) in “Little Red Riding Hood Hit the Road”, and sadly Mr. Wyatt did not follow her example; there’s another track almost titled the same, and if it’s like this I’ll be banging my head against the wall. And it runs for like seven minutes. Mostly it appears to be instrumental, in fact it may be so all the way through: I’m on about minute three and there’s only been that vocalise so far, and little of that (though not little enough) and as for the taped speech/masking/whatever the hell it is: enough, really now. Enough. And next up is “Alifib”, whatever that means: Wyatt seems to enjoy a fair bit of the old wordplay, as evidenced by the two albums that bookend this, his debut End of an Ear and the next one, Ruth is Stranger Than Richard. Yeah, very clever, but clever titles don’t make great albums, and for me, this is not a great album. Not so far anyway.

At least this track is more restrained, a nice smooth guitar line against some synthy keyboard giving quite a relaxed feel, just the thing after the last freeform-fest. Melody sounds very similar, as if it’s some folk or traditional song or something. Maybe it’s just me. Miles better than anything on this album so far anyway. Runs directly into “Alife” (which I had incorrectly read as “Alfie”) as we get a squeaky sound against a spectral, haunting keyboard line and some sort of basic vocal almost spoken rather than sung. Back to the poor quality, at least for me, we go. Sigh. Oh well. Only one more track to go and I’ll be done with this. Oh that squeaky sound is a clarinet I think, though it sounds as if he’s having a conversation with a very irate goose or hen. I know how it feels. Clarinets played by the hilariously-appropriately-named Gary Windo!

Oh look! Album is produced by Nick Mason. I wonder is that the Nick Mason? Surely it is. And this track is sung (!) by another guy, not Wyatt. I still don’t care. I hate this. Okay I don’t hate it, that’s not fair. But I really dislike and have no interest in it. And here’s the other song like “Little Red Riding Hood Hit the Road”, though this time it’s, um, “Little Red Robin Hood Hit the Road”. Right. Seems a bit better musically, not that that would be hard. Yeah but then it goes into feedback and some sort of repeated line in the vocal which just grates and grates till I want to turn this ****ING ALBUM OFF! Even the great Mike Oldfield lending a hand on guitar here can’t pull this out of the mire it’s stuck in. Oh, and now there’s someone speaking in what sounds like an exaggerated Scottish accent against what might be accordion or bassoon or some damn thing. Hey, I was right: I didn’t like it.

Personal Rating: 3