Music Banter - View Single Post - Into The Breach: Key's Gaming Journal
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2023, 12:22 PM   #27 (permalink)
Key

Default 2012 - Dishonored

Dishonored is one of those games where every time I find myself talking about it, I get excited. Not just simply for the fact that it's one of my favorite gaming experiences of all time, but also it's just a great game. I could say a million things I like about this game, and I still don't think I'd have said enough about it. I actually think this was one of the first times if not the first time I've ever jumped into a stealth style game. And man, it was a joy to play from the minute I started, to the minute I stopped.

This is certainly one of those cases where I wish I had a time machine and I could go back before I played this game, mostly because I just remember enjoying the progression of the game along with the different tactics you could proceed with. I did a few playthroughs of this game but I remember specifically doing a full stealth run and a full brute strength run. Both came with their own rewards and strategies and I urge anyone who hasn't done a full stealth run of this game, to do it. I enjoyed sneaking through each level making sure I went undetected, and sometimes it seemed impossible to do so. And on the rare occasion, if I messed up, it meant restarting the whole mission entirely. And honestly, with how great the levels are structured, it never felt like a bother to go through them again. And with the different tactics at your disposal, each playthrough felt different and unique. Hell, I'm sure if I went back to play it now I'd enjoy it immensely. But nothing will ever be as satisfying as approaching a level for the first time and trying to figure out how to progress depending on your play style.

Dishonored also does a really good job at wanting you to progress. Sometimes a game will start to feel stale after a little while or the tactics you use to progress start to feeling the same and unexciting. I never felt that when I played through this on any of the plathroughs. It always felt fun and exciting because even though the levels were all the same, the variety allowed for a lot of creativity and sometimes you'd even surprise yourself with the kinds of things you can do to progress. It just all flowed together so nicely and the story on top of it all wasn't bad. The dialogue between characters and everything else was also cool and all the characters were fun and memorable. The first instance of this is obviously when you get to the base of operations at the beginning of the game. You meet a lot of characters whom you will converse with throughout the game, and again, never feels stale. I enjoyed each time I'd finish a mission because I knew something new and exciting and fun.

In recent years, I just haven't found myself going back to this game despite really enjoying it each time I play it. We've had so many other games come out since then and this one was really fun the first few times through, but I honestly just wish I could go back and replay it without knowing anything. I'm sure I'd still enjoy the hell out of it now, but at this point, I'd just like a reboot of some kind. The sequel was god awful and I don't think I'll ever go back to it. Dishonored on the other hand is fantastic. Through and through.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote