Music Banter - View Single Post - Into The Breach: Key's Gaming Journal
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2023, 02:42 PM   #30 (permalink)
Key

Default 2015 - Pillars of Eternity

We are starting to get into the years where it gets more and more difficult to choose a favorite, and I don't even think I chose the right game, but I am still happy to talk about it in such a way. In a world where we have games like Path of Exile, Grim Dawn, Diablo, Divinity Original Sin I and II, it can be pretty difficult to decide how to take on this genre of games, and my personal opinion of it is that it has to have something to grab onto and enjoy the whole way through. All the games mentioned here are ones I would consider to be the best of the genre, but the one I left out is only left out because I'm choosing to talk about it now. Pillars of Eternity is that game.

I knew about the existence of this game early on, probably around the time I started to really get into this genre, starting with Diablo III. Pretty quickly, once I got into the genre a little bit more, I decided to try my hands at Pillars of Eternity, and I don't know if I just wasn't acclimated enough to the genre to enjoy it, but it definitely didn't hit right the first time. Now, fast forward a few years, I decide to jump in again given that I have a lot more experience with the genre, and man, what a difference. I spent many hours playing the game when I picked it up again, and thoroughly enjoyed my time with it. However, given how big the game is, I never actually got around to finishing it. But, the nice thing about these kinds of games is that the adventure will be there no matter what, it just depends on when you feel like jumping in. And honestly, I've wanted to jump back into Pillars of Eternity again for a while, though other games are taking up my attention right now.

I really really enjoy the D&D style games that we have been getting a lot of in recent years, I'm all for it. I think it's one of the most enjoyable playstyles to go through because it takes more than just knowing how to swing an axe. Every move you make has to be calculated and even sometimes, you won't succeed. But that's when you learn and learn and figure out strategies to carry you forward. Along with the memorably characters and it being in a top down perspective, you can really enjoy the depth of the game while learning the game simultaneously. Divinity Original Sin II did this excellently and it was very balanced between gameplay and story, and made the entire experience fun and unique. Hell I have probably played through Divinity Original Sin II at least 3 times at this point. Each time being its own thing. Pillars of Eternity does this very well as well, and even the sequel was fantastic. Hell, either one of them would be worth playing, and I strongly suggest both of them if you're a fan of this particular genre.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote