Music Banter - View Single Post - The Decline of The Daily Show
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2023, 06:23 AM   #36 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfulness View Post
Stephen Colbert late show is pretty good, Kimmel and fallon and meyers too. But I dont watch any of them anymore since I haven't had cable tv since 2013, I just sometimes watch what they upload to YouTube.
Yep, I also enjoy S Colbert, but like Mindfulness, limited to what is uploaded to Youtube. Most often, I just watch his monologue; fairly short, well-written and a quick take on the issues of the day.

Kimmel, and Meyers' "Closer Look" also turn up on Youtube but are not as funny as Colbert imo. Both of them make the mistake of cutting to an "off-stage" straightman who is completely unfunny: Kimmel has a plump Latino guy, Meyers a guy holding up prompt cards, but for me they add nothing to the humour of the segments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGR View Post
I gotta disagree on Colbert, he's probably the most unfunny, unlikeable host on TV these days. Which is sad, because on the Colbert Report, he used to be a lot funnier. I forgot about Conan. He's funny - John Oliver is pretty great too, even if his accent can wear on me.
well, this is very hurtful to us Brits! Actually, I'm always impressed by Americans' willingness to laugh along with J Oliver, even though he is so often ridiculing something going on in the US. John Oliver wears on me too, though: not the accent, but the constant call to feel angry, then more angry, then even more angry, but I suppose that's inevitable when he is, quite rightly, exposing the injustices of the world.