Music Banter - View Single Post - The Perfect Angle: Key Discusses Movies & Television
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2023, 07:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Key

Default Obi-Wan Kenobi

Obi-Wan Kenobi

There's a reason I didn't include Obi-Wan Kenobi in the post prior to this because I feel like this show in particular didn't live up to the standard that I'd personally put for it. And I'm one to say that it's still worth watching, despite its flaws. And I'm willing to admit that even as a hardcore Star Wars fan and specifically an Obi-Wan Kenobi fanboy, this show is not perfect. Not even close to it.

I do love Obi-Wan Kenobi as a character and I've always enjoyed watching the movies because of the chemistry between him and Hayden Christensen. So when Disney+ announced that Ewan Mcgregor was going to be reprising his role as Obi-Wan Kenobi, I, along with many others were excited not only for the fact that we were going to see Ewan Mcgregor in this role again, but also for the added fact that Hayden Christensen was going to reprise his role as Darth Vader. And as specific roles go, both did a trememdous job bringing back their characters while also still giving them a unique flair in this shows setting. I enjoyed pretty much all the scenes where they were either being talked about, or were in the scenes themselves. It's one of the flaws of the show that there isn't as much focus on them as characters as I was hoping there would be.

The story is where the show lost a lot of people, myself included, and what I briefly mentioned in the last batch of sentences is that for a show titled Obi-Wan Kenobi, it didn't focus a whole lot of the character as a whole, more-so focused on a story that involved more that what some bargained for. I understand that sometimes shows need to make more story arcs for potentially later shows, but I don't think making a show where Obi-Wan Kenobi is basically hunted the whole time makes for interesting television. And again, I still enjoyed the show as a whole, but I really don't think they focused enough on what people actually wanted. They attempted to make a story that revolved around the character instead of on the character itself. And I think the show definitely dragged on at certain points which just furthers the point that the story just was not interesting enough to move the show along.

The show still has a lot of redeeming qualities because like I said, there are scenes with both Ewan Mcgregor and Hayden Christensen reprising their respective roles, and they both do great jobs. Every single positive part about this show has something to do with them, which is precisely why I wish they had focused on it more. Not enough scenes in the show as a whole that really dove into them as a characters and their current relationship. But hey, it's only the first season, so perhaps in a next season there will be more focus. Hopefully.

Show is still pretty good though but I definitely would recommend watching the three that I mentioned prior to this before watching this one. Those at least are really fun to sit through not only for the topics at hand, but just the overall feel of them is very much rid of Jedi/Sith craziness, and instead focuses on other matters in the galaxy.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote