Music Banter - View Single Post - 100 Albums in 100 Days
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2023, 09:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Key

Default M4 - Faunts (2007)

Hell, let's start today, why not? I had the urge to listen to something tonight so I figure what better way to start this off:

Day 1 / 100

M4 by Faunts

Bandcamp: https://fauntsmusic.bandcamp.com/album/m4

At the time of writing this, I have yet to listen to the entire album as I literally am listening to it right now as I write this, and starting off with M4, pt. 2 seems a little odd but that's how they have it on both Spotify and their Bandcamp so I'm listening to it the way the artist intended. I'm kind of glad they did it this way though because this song really opens you up to what you are about to hear throughout this nicely crafted 5 track album. It certainly reminds me of a softer pg.lost mixed with some maynard james keenan / depeche mode style vocals that really brings it altogether nicely. It should be no surprise that I'm a pretty big fan of the likes of Tool, The Pineapple Thief, and Porcupine Tree, so to see that I am already a fan of this shouldn't really surprise you. But yeah, only one track in so far and I am diggin the vibe this gives off immediately.

Next track is titled Sleepwalker and it opens as you'd probably expect. An "onslaught" of ambiance that travels throughout the track and climbs into more detailed beats and ambiance as it goes and goes. Nothing I've never heard before but that's not always a bad thing. It's always interesting to see what other artists do with familiar riffs etc. The vocals and lyrics come in and this really feels like The Pineapple Thief and Radiohead with the high pitched eerie vocals and the soft ambient rock in the background. This is definitely something I would throw on during a blunt rotation. It's got a really cool and slow groove that allows the listener to just take the ride along. The vocals really don't overpower the song too much. In fact, the vocals are pretty good throughout the entire album, but in this particular track, like I said, I hear a good mixture of Radiohead and The Pineapple Thief, and that's a really nice thing to hear.

I also really like the guitar in the background because it also adds a really nice ambiance that this track really does a good job with. Just that grimy noisy sound that I love love love. So far, this album is great, and one I will probably find myself listening to again in the near future.

Next track is M4, pt. 1 and I know, I talked about part 2 first but again, that's simply how both Bandcamp and Spotify have it setup so that's how I'm choosing to go about it. Whether it was done purposefully or not, I'm not sure. But certainly doesn't take away from the overall quality of this album. Hell this is only the third track and I'm already feeling this whole vibe. I actually love it when bands do things like this where you get a first part and a second part and sometimes third and fourth. Especially if you're really digging the song because then you get to hear possibly different renditions of the same thing and that can often times pay off really nicely. This track in particular starts off a lot more noisy and leads into a really nice low fi beat that once again carries the listener on this journey of sorts. This band in particular does a really nice job of mixing several different genres together to make something pretty cool. Again, not something I have never heard anywhere else, but this once again goes to show that even with as many ways to make music there are, there are still ways to show your own uniqueness throughout and this band certainly does that. Crazy to think that this album came out in 2007 because it's honesty really quality stuff. Just doesn't seem that old, I suppose. This song continues on in a low fi ambient vibe that really feels nice since the first two tracks had vocals throughout, so it's always cool to see a track that is mostly if not all instrumental. Some vocals in instrumental tracks can also be done nicely, but there's a lot more focus on the ambiance and instruments in this track, and it works really well. An overall cool track. Just consistently oozes with good sounds and good vibes. This is definitely a track where if I wasn't listening to this album as a whole right now, I'd press the repeat button and listen to it again. Probably one of the stronger tracks on the album for sure.

This next track titled Meno Mony Falls has a definite similar to Radiohead far more than any other influence that I've mentioned so far. It's got that really cool laid back vibe that honestly is present throughout the whole album thus far, and it honestly makes this being a 5 track album that much better because I think that's the perfect amount for stuff like this. Gives you enough of what you want without overdoing it. I really like the mellow instrumentals that this one goes on as well. It keeps a consistent lo fi beat and mixes it in with some really cool sounding guitar and noises. Which again, is something that is definitely throughout this entire album. This band is definitely going for that laid back sort of vibe and it works really really well. It's nothing too out there but again, it really doesn't have to be. It does what it's trying to do really nicely and I would easily listen to this track again as well. I'd probably even put this 2nd behind the previous tracks as my favorites right off the bat. I dunno, I think it's good to have a mixture of tracks with and without vocals. This one then gets into some really strong sound guitar in the background but doesn't overstay its welcome or take away from anything that's currently going on in the track. It all builds on itself really nicely and continues to do so throughout the entire track. This track and this album honestly are perfect for those times where you're just looking for a chill vibe but also looking for something that sounds cool. This album nails it with that and many other things. It's overall just a good feeling.

Like I said, I don't think the vocals are bad at all, honestly they're not. But man, these past few tracks being instrumentals only is really nice. It lets me focus and really dive into what's going on in the background and doesn't get taken away by anything. Everything works in tandem with each other and the album succeeds overall as a result.

Last track is titled Of Nature, and as you'd probably expect, the song starts off a little slow and gradually climbs into something more. Which is pretty much the entire flow of this album, and I'm definitely here for it. I like some of the unique things they did like adding in some beats here and there, and on top of that, adding the vocals back in for the, what we can call, the finale of this album. Again, I think 5 tracks is absolutely perfect for this album as a whole. With the whole atmosphere and theme that it's going for, it need not be less or more, it's perfect the way it is. This last track really goes back to that The Pineapple Thief influence, and somewhat early The Pineapple Thief which again, not a bad thing by any stretch. Hell, I may have to check out this bands other stuff.

I'd say for the first album in this little escapade, that wasn't so bad. It's definitely an album I can see myself listening to again in the future, though it didn't really break any sorts of boundaries. And I don't really think I was here for it to break any boundaries. Just listening to something I'd probably enjoy and...well, that is indeed the case. I really like this album and now I really like this band. And you're damn right I'll be heading into this bands other stuff. If there is any other stuff that is. Unlike the start of this post where I said I had not listened to this whole album, well now I have, and again, I may find myself listening to it again tomorrow just to hear it again.

Good stuff, and a great start!
Key is offline   Reply With Quote