Music Banter - View Single Post - MB Album Club 2022
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2023, 08:59 AM   #693 (permalink)
SGR
No Ice In My Bourbon

Vox - From Spain to Spain

So firstly, this is way out of my comfort zone - western classical I guess this is - stuff you might hear in Spain during the Middle Ages - perhaps a soundtrack for the Spanish Inquisition?

Jokes aside, much of this music is foreboding enough that it could soundtrack that - the album starts off with the ominous plucks of “Entrada” and what an entrance it is. Guitar pluckery laid over a menacing string repetition - sorta gives you the idea of what you’re getting into. The guitar work is actually really good here.

“Bells for the Virgin” definitely has a different feel to it - muted church bells accompany a symphony of bass and drums and chimes. I’m not great at Spanish, but I’m beginning to sense this album probably has a fair amount of religious undertones.

“Maravillosos” probably represents what I like least about this album - and that’s music that sounds like I’m chanting hymns in church after the pastor gives the signal. I haven’t been to church in a long time but it definitely reminds me of that big time.

Perhaps the prettiest track is “While The Bird Sings” - the vocal accompaniment is so wistful and pleasant and the backing musicians produce a track that is very lighthearted and bouncy.

“He Who Loves You” has this sort of tribalistic backing drums that are just great while the vocalist floats on top of them wistfully like a jetski skating the lake during the early morning sunrise. Great track.

“Miragre” begins slowly, but then deliberately begins to pick up the pace - increasing the speed and urgency as if you were attending the incantations of some medieval cultish ritual - before eventually slowing to a crawl after the incantation has been complete and the soul has risen to heaven.

Overall, this was an interesting listen. Definitely out of my comfort zone. Probably the closest thing I’ve listened to with any purpose is neoclassical like this:

But I’m glad I heard this album - not something I’d put on with any regularity, but also something I wouldn’t necessarily turn off it came up on my playlist (unless I was at a party, in that case, I wouldn’t be able to press the skip button fast enough)

6.5/10
SGR is offline   Reply With Quote