Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Reviews Random Current Albums
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2023, 07:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Note: Though I usually put the video last, I'm going to put it first here, so that, if anyone wants to, they can click it and listen as they read.

Album title: Worldwide Panic
Artist: Worldwide Panic
Nationality: American
Genre: Heavy metal
Chronology: Debut
What do I know about this artist? Nothing
What’s my experience with this genre? One of my favourite genres
Review: Surprisingly hard to track down information on, so I will assume it’s their debut. Yeah, I see from their Bandcamp page I’m right. Oddly enough, as a metal band (and how lucky for me that the first random album I choose is a metal one, and yes it was random, I’m not cheating: I had no idea who this artist was till I went looking) they’re not to be found on Metal Archives. It starts off with “I Tried”, with a kind of semi-tribal drumbeat then a chanting group vocal which sort of reminds me of a heavier Daughtry or something, touches of maybe post-hardcore in there. Quite melodic, and I would be reluctant to call this metal right away. Heavy sharp guitars, sure, and a thick kind of fuzzy sound to the music, but if any sort of metal it may be more melodic metal, not quite verging on AOR territory but still not as heavy as I might have expected it to be. Decent opener, though it’s not blowing me away just yet.

“Less Than Nothing” has a somewhat more industrial feel with a more growly, raw vocal and what sounds like wailing keyboards, though I don’t have any liner notes so it’s hard to know what instruments are being used; pretty sure there are keys/synth here though. Hey. Maybe Discogs has it? Nah, no such luck. Some pretty catchy vocal harmonies on this, but is it standing out for me? Not quite yet it’s not. Very short. And now we have a cover version of Tears For Fears’ “Everybody Wants to Rule the World”. It’s good, it’s interesting, particularly the “unclean” backing vocals, which are - perhaps unintentionally - funny, but was it needed? Is it a cynical attempt to grab listeners through the usage of a well-known pop song given the metal treatment?

“Falling Apart” has a nice kick to it, and despite my dislike of them, I would have to say the unclean vocals - again as kind of backing, although they do take over for a few lines - work quite well here and make the song seem more metal, though ironically for me also push this further into post-hardcore territory, as I understand the genre, my grasp of which is very limited I admit. It’s good but is it great? No. No it isn’t. But it’s not terrible. Hardly a ringing endorsement, I know. Have to say, “Another Side of Me” is really awful, just too dark and muggy and with no real idea in the song, confused and sounds a little claustrophobic, while “I Wish I Was Dead” does at least have a lot of energy and kicks things back to life (ironically) with some spooky whistling keyboards I’m sure are not meant to, but do, convey the idea of ghosts and scary goings-on. Hilarious. Best track by a mile. Love this. Kind of a dark rap and horror-style laughter. Brilliant.

This kind of light-hearted madness continues well into the next track, the appropriately-titled “Shrapnel”, which fires riffs and vocal growls all over the place, necessitating a dive for cover as they whistle over your head. Great fun. I like this one too. Perhaps this album is making a last dash for glory, a desperate attempt to finish strongly, blowing away the clinging, cloying cobwebs of the last six tracks and just going for it now? Hopefully. This is a lot better. The swarming keyboard arpeggios accompanying the aural assault of “Burn Letter” work really well, and yeah, I feel that after kind of stumbling around a little, feeling its way in the dark, this album is finally beginning to find its feet and strut a lot more confidently along. Much better.

Oddly enough, given my own personal tastes, it’s the unclean vocals that work best for me here; they give this album much more a sense of being real metal than the normal ones do. It’s not that the guy’s a bad singer (maybe he’s doing both sets of vocals, I really don’t know) but the “clean” ones just sound, I don’t know, too clean? Like the band is trying - unsuccessfully - to straddle the worlds of pop/rock music and metal, and they only really begin to succeed once they let go and fall roaring and growling over into the metal pit, leaving the safer and more commercial shores of pop music behind. There’s a return to the industrial style with “The Things That Are Meant to Be”, with a sort of nod back to the first half of the album, think there may be some sort of rap going on there too. Not mad about this one now at all. Then again, it has a nice hook in it. Meh.

Acoustic guitar brings in “The Great Departure” as the album closes, so I guess we’re looking at a ballad. But then again… It’s kind of more like a campfire cowboy song or something, great vocal harmonies and some fine lush synth melding with the guitar, and despite the fact that the vocals are all clean, it’s quite easily a standout and a hell of a closer.

Favourite track(s): I Wish I Was Dead, Shrapnel, The Great Departure
Least favourite track(s): Another Side of Me, The Things That Are Meant to Be

Would I listen to more? I really don’t think I’d be too fussed. It’s got its moments but they’re too few and far between. The closer does leave me with a sense of curiosity as to where this band could go when they really try though.
Rating: