Music Banter - View Single Post - Into The Breach: Key's Gaming Journal
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2023, 10:05 AM   #94 (permalink)
Key

Default Pokemon Month - Fossil Pokemon In Pokemon Games

Fossil Pokemon In Pokemon Games

Especially in the earlier Pokemon games, fossil Pokemon were not really introduced in the game until it was already too far in to where any of them would be of any use. And I always thought that was such a shame because some of my favorite Pokemon designs are of the fossil family. Pokemon like Aerodactyl and Kabutops spring to mind right away. Though I can't really say as much for the later games since I don't really remember which fossil Pokemon I had access to, I do just remember that each time a fossil Pokemon would come around in the games, the momentum to even want to train them just wasn't there. Especially considering Kabuto, Omanyte, they both evolve into their respective evolutions at level 40. And the only was to train big xp in the earlier games was just to go through the elite four multiple times to get their levels. However if you're already at a point where you can take on the elite four multiple times, the only reason you'd evolve both Kabuto and Omanyte at this point would be to add it to your Pokedex, assuming you don't bring it with you in the later games, which I suppose you could now that I think about it. How far it will travel I don't know as I did most of my trading between gen 3 onwards, so I know not much about how the trading process works all the way back from generation 1.

However, if for whatever reason I was able to acquire a fossil Pokemon early on in the game to the point that it was super useful throughout the game, I would definitely go with Kabuto over anything else. Not just because I think it's a cute as **** Pokemon and turns into a really cool Pokemon, but also, Kabutops is pretty strong. It may not seem like it at first but if you can equip it with the right moves, it can be a force to be reckoned with. However, it does have a lot of weaknesses so it is pretty easy to take down. But, design wise, I think Kabutops is one of the coolest looking Pokemon in the first generation. It's up there with the likes of Scyther and the ones that really look like they can pack a punch, only to find out that they are relatively weak.

Also, praise Helix.

As you know at this point, I love the third generation of Pokemon games, and that also goes with my thoughts on the fossil Pokemon in this gen. Lileep and Anorith are both pretty cool looking Pokemon on their own, but when they evolve, especially Anorith, they just look badass. Much like why I like Kabutops for how cool it looks, both Lileep and Anorith start off cute as well and turn into their respective power houses. Again though, unfortunately I have used both throughout playthroughs of Pokemon Ruby, and neither are necessarily all that strong all things considered. Generally, I'll evolve one of them and then just PC for the rest of the journey. I have used one of each throughout one playthrough and they were cool to have on the team, but just kind of died a lot. Could've been my ignorance of how to properly use them but I remember being somewhat underwhelmed. Look wise though, super cool looking. Just makes the third gen that much better for me.

I think that's just how it is though for me anyway. The fossil Pokemon typically look really dope, but don't really provide too much as far as longevity on a team, since a lot of times it's just too far in the game for them to matter much. However, I do think Aerodactyl is probably a little stronger than the rest, but again...I haven't really had much chance to use it in a game so I wouldn't really know of its full potential.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote