Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Day
Thread: Your Day
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2023, 10:57 AM   #82201 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post

Everything you are saying TH is what more people should do. Politicians should care more about what their constituents are going through and there are times when I tell people to call their local council member or legislator for their area depending on the issue they are dealing with. Ideally if the person doesn't care then when they come around door knocking asking for support you know NOT to vote for them again because they did absolutely nothing for you when you were in a time of need. Most Americans are too disconnected from their local politics to even bother or know they can do what you have said. Nothing you have said is alien or out of the norm to be expected of someone that you voted to put into an office to represent you.
Yeah it's amazing to me that you guys don't do that, or consider doing it. As I say, I have not done it myself (never needed to) but when things like Karen's extension was not being built were happening, I considered it. The politicians will only do it for the political clout of course - they couldn't give a pair of fetid dingo's kidneys whether you get your extension or not - but it makes them look good. Guy stands up in the Dail (our parliament) and goes on about this woman who has been waiting x number of years to get the council to build her a downstairs extension as she's disabled, where is the accountability, what is she supposed to do, who will foot the bill if she takes a header down the stairs etc, and it all goes on his CV. Plus, if it works, then next time he needs to be voted in you can sure as hell bet his staff will make sure he knocks on your door and reminds you.

As you say, it works in the other way too. If they shrug and do nothing then you tell them to **** off when they come looking for your vote. Democracy in its purest form in action. Help me, I'll help you. Don't help me, why should I help you? And worst of all, you didn't help me but this guy (your hated rival) did, so I'm voting for him this time. Make the bastards work for their big salaries, say I. Imagine if ISB had someone in local govt he could go to with this problem. Would probably make a whole lot of difference.