Music Banter - View Single Post - SGR's Gold Mine: Music I'm Listening To
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2023, 08:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
SGR
No Ice In My Bourbon

Horace Silver was one hell of a pianist. And of course, he released some great albums too. His most famous is probably his 1965 Blue Note hard bop classic, Song for my Father, an album dedicated in tribute his dad, who was featured on the album's cover.

The album has rightfully garnered a lot of praise over the years - and while I wouldn't dare to begin to try and explain in technical terms why I love it, given my lack of knowledge in how to actually play jazz music, I can say that any lover of jazz music should check this album out. It's the perfect record to put on during a sunny Sunday morning when you're relaxing and trying to recharge for the challenges that next week will bring.

The title track is probably the most well known out of the bunch, a great, great song. But the closing track, "Lonely Woman" is perhaps my favorite. It's one of those mood pieces. Sparse drums, muted bass, and a dominant piano performance. It's just beautiful - the way the notes ascend and descend is like a massage for your brain. If you're not relaxed after hearing this track, I think therapy sessions might be in order for you.

Last edited by SGR; 03-16-2023 at 08:17 AM.
SGR is offline   Reply With Quote