Music Banter - View Single Post - Newbie requesting equipment setup recommendation
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2023, 01:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Hi there

I think you should get something like a focusrite Clarett or Scarlett with enough inputs. I'd probably go for 8. The Roland Studio Capture is another good option, but it has aged a bit (I have one).

Connect everything into the audio interface and record to a DAW like Reaper (many choices here). The only thing that might go elsewhere is midi from a keyboard.

Also figure out if you're gonna record or perform or both. Performance is more demanding in terms of space and the number of mics you need. Recording on a budget, you can overdub things. You might get by with less equipment and f.ex. wouldn't need the keyboard amp at all, though you should invest money into proper mics.

I might be able to help you out more, but I don't really post here much these days. Consider checking out the forum in my signature

Edit:

Also, the piezo pickups in ukuleles and guitars sound bad. It's preferable to record guitars etc. with a stereo mic setup (condenser mics since ribbon mics are more expensive). A popular budget option is a pair of Oktava MK-012 pencil mics, but again there are some options..

Last edited by Guybrush; 03-25-2023 at 01:47 PM.
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote