Music Banter - View Single Post - Newbie requesting equipment setup recommendation
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2023, 01:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elderly_beginner
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush View Post
Hi there

I think you should get something like a focusrite Clarett or Scarlett with enough inputs. I'd probably go for 8. The Roland Studio Capture is another good option, but it has aged a bit (I have one).

Connect everything into the audio interface and record to a DAW like Reaper (many choices here). The only thing that might go elsewhere is midi from a keyboard.

Also figure out if you're gonna record or perform or both. Performance is more demanding in terms of space and the number of mics you need. Recording on a budget, you can overdub things. You might get by with less equipment and f.ex. wouldn't need the keyboard amp at all, though you should invest money into proper mics.

I might be able to help you out more, but I don't really post here much these days. Consider checking out the forum in my signature

Edit:

Also, the piezo pickups in ukuleles and guitars sound bad. It's preferable to record guitars etc. with a stereo mic setup (condenser mics since ribbon mics are more expensive). A popular budget option is a pair of Oktava MK-012 pencil mics, but again there are some options..
Guybrush, thanks so much for the reply!

I would ideally like to both record and perform with the setup. Sorry for not making that clear.

I learned a lot from your post, including the issue of piezo pickup quality and the mic option!

Last night I was at a social function and chatted with a guy who is an amateur audio engineer. He suggested the option of using an audio mixer along with either external powered monitor speaker(s) connected to the audio mixer or output from the mixer to a PC and monitor through the PC's speakers as well as recording on the PC. I wasn't previously aware of that option.

Thanks again for your help!

P.S. I don't see a URL in your signature.
Elderly_beginner is offline   Reply With Quote