Music Banter - View Single Post - Newbie requesting equipment setup recommendation
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2023, 07:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elderly_beginner
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush View Post
As someone who performs and records, I have a mixer and a small PA for gigs and I also have mic preamps (which you don't need) and an audio interface for recording.

If you want to perform, the mixer is great. If you're going to record, the audio interface is great.

I'd say if you're only buying one thing, maybe it can be a mixer, but make sure it's something you can hook up to PC with USB or similar that will send multiple channels to a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation). What you don't want is sending stereo out from your mixer to your PC for recording. That means you'd mix on the mixer and send your mix to your PC, but getting all channels in and doing the mixing in a DAW on a computer has tremendous advantages when recording, so that should be your goal.

In a pinch, an audio interface like a Roland Studio Capture can also be used to perform, but since the mixer is typically software, you may have to bring a laptop on stage, at least during sound testing to set the levels. Adjustment during performance or feedback may be harder to deal with quickly if you can't get to a physical knob or slider quickly.
Guybrush, thank you so much for the help information! I appreciate it.

Currently, I have been leaning toward getting a Yamaha MG10XU mixer that has a USB (to PC) interface.

This mixer appears to have physical knobs. So, maybe this Yamaha mixer has the features you are suggesting?

I have to admit that I am barely keeping up with the technical part of this topic. I am a retired techie (from another field), but the musical equipment topic is new to me.
Elderly_beginner is offline   Reply With Quote