Music Banter - View Single Post - Random Track of the Day
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2023, 08:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Default Random Track of the Day

Here's something I used to do in my original journal. Simple enough, like most of my ideas. I dump all my record collection into a randomiser player and then write about whatever comes out. Since my music taste is not quite as eclectic as some, but still relatively varied, it could be anything from country to classical or metal to ambient, soundtrack, maybe even the odd prog rock! Hey, stranger things have happened. Could be something I love, something I hate, something I have not yet heard, something I've even forgotten I had. You know, random.

Anyway, here's what fell out of the machine today.

Title: “Fast Decay”
Artist: Bram Stoker
Format: Band
Year 2014
Genre: Progressive Rock
Nationality: English
Taken from: Their second album Cold Reading
Familiarity with artist: I only know this album but they only have two more
Familiarity with album/track: As I say above, I know this album quite well
Comments: The best kept secret in prog rock, Bram Stoker surfaced in 1969 as a sort of Black Sabbath ripoff but quickly faded. Flash forward to 2014 and they come out with this stunning “comeback” album (one of the longest hiatuses for a band? Maybe; what’s that - 45 years?) which just has to be heard to be believed. I enthused about this plenty already, so let me just say that this track is heavy on the organ and keyboards and evokes the heyday of bands like ELP, Genesis and Yes, it’s all instrumental and they even manage to sandwich in Bach’s “Toccata and Fugue”. Wonderful stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvVwIdX1aoo