Music Banter - View Single Post - What are the stages of singing development?
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2023, 01:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elderly_beginner
Groupie

Default What are the stages of singing development?

Hi Music Experts.

I have been taking singing lessons for about six weeks, and I would like to see a 'roadmap' of singing development, especially for the beginner (that is, pre-intermediate) stage.

I'm a bit embarrassed that I have been unable to find such a description via internet search.

I have found answers such as:

UNconsious incompetence -> Conscious INcompetence -> Conscious COMpetence -> UNconscious competence

but I'm looking for information that is a bit more technnical.

Here's what I'm at...working on breathing control, and I can perform 'belly breathing' while singing. I suspect that my instructor may transition me to diaphram breathing eventually.

I have been working on embouchure, and this is a work in progress.

I work on vocalizing exercises (ascending and descending patterns with varying leaps between notes), and I can now sing them in tune maybe 50% of the time if I use a piano as a guide while I'm singing.

I am working on a simple song that is comfortably within my sing, singing along with a recording. I would say that I sing in tune about 50% of the time.

I realize that I am a LONG way from being an intermediate singer, but part of the reason that I'm asking for a roadmap is that I'm a bit intimidated by the thought of the eventual switch from sing-along to sing-to-backing-track. It seems impossible to me, although of course that is only my ignorance of the learning process.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!
Elderly_beginner is offline   Reply With Quote