Music Banter - View Single Post - MB Album Club 2022
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2023, 04:54 PM   #780 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

^ Good question! I suppose for years, I often liked having something for my eyes to do while I was listening to an album, so Sgt. Pepper's was kind of good in that sense, but yeah, it's a bit daft to expect every album cover to entertain you in that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I think it's a great album cover. And I went to design school—so there, haters. It's interesting to me that some people perceive minimalism as somehow being low effort.
Ouch! You have pinpointed what I must confess is my instinctive reaction to a minimalist album cover, even if I hadn't realised it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGR View Post
^ She's wearing the album cover design! So that's quite neat, but my idea carries with it a subtle visual word-play on the band's name:

....Blooms, geddit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Bloom - Beach House

I've listened to this twice and it just hasn't impressed me. I mean, I like it until it seems all of it is the same, then I just don't care. I kind of feel like I'm drowning in a bath of honey and sugar with the cutest teddy bear in the world shoving my head under and keeping it there. I'm suffocating. None of it sounds any different to me - I'm sure it is, but it all sounds the same - and the guy's voice just gets on my nerves after a while. Sorry I know it's a short and probably slightly brutal review, but I don't care for it, I won't remember it and I really don't want to hear it a third time.
Yep, that was similar to my feeling in many ways, TH, though you have expressed it more graphically, with the suffocating teddy bear.

Did you forget to allocate a number, which helps when I work out those average grades per album ? I've been putting down a "rather not rate this album" as a zero, which really pulls down its score. Perhaps instead I should just not count you in the tally for those albums, which of course gives the album a higher rating than it's really earning.