Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Computer Tech Support Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2023, 03:34 PM   #2412 (permalink)
Jangly Mark
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo Bungle View Post
So in the chrome settings I disabled new tabs from being opened because I was using one of those illegal movie sites that open 719485 new tabs before you can play your video, but I'm obviously gonna need that option enabled again so later I try to go to my settings and unfortunately whoever worked on this one specifically didn't have a brain and the settings tab itself isn't allowed to open. So I tried typing it into the address bar directly which would not open a new tab but just take me there, but as of 20 minutes ago that is apparently no longer true and the page couldn't open. So I closed chrome and tried to open again into a different account where this option had presumably not been switched, but I can't open the browser.

I can't open new windows but can open new incognito windows since apparently the former are actually tabs and the latter are not. Doesn't make a lot of sense.
The first thing I would do is scan for malware (Malwarebytes Anti Malware is good)and zap anything nasty you find.

As to visiting such sites, IMO you need BOTH an adblocker AND a script blocker. (Recommend Firefox + Adblock Plus + Noscript - you'll also, with the latter need to figure out which domain contains the actual video you want to watch).

You'll still get some redirects, but, a much reduced risk of getting something nasty on your system.
Jangly Mark is offline   Reply With Quote