Music Banter - View Single Post - Rishi Sunak says 'a man is a man and a woman is a woman'
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2023, 07:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
Synthgirl
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadis View Post
Around the time of the Iraq war, the anti-war left built a common cause with racist paleoconservatives. That's the depressing reality of politics: to stand a chance to achieve certain goals you don't have a choice but to work across the aisle with people some of whose views you find indefensible.

Some of the alleged alliances mention in the video seem, from where I'm sitting, like grave miscalculations. But then the situation vis-à-vis gay and reproductive rights in the UK is different from what it is in the US: they face no real threat afaik. Then I can see the rationnel behind, hypothetically speaking, taking money from rich conservatives idiots so that your organization can keep the lights on. Does it entail an uneasy balancing act? For sure.

Btw in her excellent book Kathleen Stock is pretty critical of certain manifestations of "gender critical" feminist activism, including calls for temporary alliances of convenience with certain strands of the right. They're not above criticism.

The bottom line for me is that building alliances is bound to be difficult and lead to some tough (or maybe unfortunate) choices when you've been excluded, completely unjustly in my opinion, from "progressive" spaces.

Having said all that, I decided to look into one of those examples cited in the video: Maya Forstater's participation in a panel at something called the Battle of Ideas. It was organized not by ADF UK but by something called The Academy of Ideas (whose stated mission is to expand the boundaries of the public debate and who seem to be standard issue libertarians); the one panel on which Forstater sat was organized in partnership with ADF UK. It is stated from the outset by the chair that disagreement is likely. There is one guy on the panel who's from ADF, Jeremiah Igunnubole. The others represent different perspectives, tending toward libertarianism as far as I can tell. It seems like a punishingly boring discussion but the idea that Forstater (a standard issue British liberal) is somehow aligning with the religious right by appearing there is blatant guilt-by-association nonsense that makes me doubt some of the other claims.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhVN...nel=worldwrite
You're defending and praising people who think trans people are worse than fascists. Got it.
Synthgirl is offline   Reply With Quote