Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Day
Thread: Your Day
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2023, 12:02 AM   #78896 (permalink)
jadis
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthgirl View Post
No, I don't feel safe because the GOP, the religious right, and even my own damned clinic are constantly talking about (and in some states, passing) terrifying laws and healthcare bans that will prevent me from continuing to live my currently very happy life as a transgender woman. It's not about "others not accepting my self image" or whatever and you know it.

I just want the conservatives to stop attacking my people. The only people "coercing others into compliance" are the people telling me I'm not allowed to exist as myself and enacting legal force to that end. In a perfect world I wouldn't care if you called me a man or used the wrong pronouns, I used to be pretty chill about that stuff because I could brush it off as just some *******s. Now those *******s are my country's government.

And yes, your precious TERFs are in fact contributing to this. I don't care how supposedly non-bigoted JK Rowling is, if you praise and validate and platform people like Kellie Jay Keen and Matt Walsh, you are hurting trans people. End of story.
Some of the anti-trans measures by Republicans are discriminatory and inexcusable like the ban on military service under Trump. Also the protections against discrimination in hiring are, from what I understand, not what they should be and certainly not what they are in the UK and Canada.

But mainstream and institutional trans activism focuses not on reasonable goals that pose an affront to no one but the most hardened social conservatives. Instead their activism is geared toward 1) the erosion of biological sex as a legal category (the consequences for women are well known) and 2) the erosion of barriers against life-changing and irreversible medical interventions for minors.

Both of these are deeply controversial, to put it as politely as I can. They trigger a backlash that is not limited to social conservatives. They are deeply unpopular once you lay them out clearly and strip away the window dressing of histrionic propaganda about "trans genocide" and the truly despicable manipulation of parents by false claims about teenage suicidality.

I think that you should have access to whatever hormones you want. But if a universal ban is the best way of ensuring that no blockers or testosterone would be prescribed to teenage girls then I support the ban. The maximalist and reality-denying political goals of the extremely well-funded and organized trans lobby is part of the story of how we got to this juncture.

This is because the real goal for the likes of Jennifer Pritzker is not to strive toward a practical accommodation that would help trans people avoid discrimination. It is to make the world accept his self-image as a woman.
jadis is offline   Reply With Quote