Music Banter - View Single Post - Rishi Sunak says 'a man is a man and a woman is a woman'
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2023, 05:59 AM   #22 (permalink)
jadis
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthgirl View Post
Hi! I'm back from my two weeks of having this site blocked.

It's pretty funny that you seem to think trans people are just playing into stereotypes. Like yeah, I do play into performative stereotypes sometimes. Because I don't want to get misgendered! Do I actually think woman = dresses/makeup/femme stereotypes? Of course not. But I'm gonna get more people calling me "sir" if I don't wear a bit of eye makeup or paint my nails or wear a skirt or something. Not the most ideal way to say "hey I'm a woman", but I don't have that by default so those femme stereotypes are a quick and easy way of signifying that. It's society that directly associates all that with being a woman. It's their world, I'm just living in it, y'know?

I thought you had trans friends? This is pretty basic trans stuff lol.
You're saying that you need the more stereotypical paraphernalia of femininity to signal to other people that you're a woman, cause otherwise they would take you for a man. I agree that it's very basic trans stuff and don't think one needs to have trans friends to understand this. We know. But I don't see how this addresses the emphasis in the Allison Bailey quote, which is not placed on playing up stereotypes but on something more basic and ontological: to those not born women, the experience of being a woman is only accessible from the outside. Meaning, inevitably, through stereotypes. She says nothing about any particular MTF's motives for self-expression through stereotypes, merely that it's the only path open to them.
jadis is offline   Reply With Quote