Music Banter - View Single Post - What Are You Listening To Right Now? II
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2023, 07:55 PM   #32548 (permalink)
Roguette
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergiyY View Post
In the Russian Empire and later - in the Soviet Union, a policy of gradual Russification was carried out in relation to Ukraine.... separation from the language and culture of the occupiers is simply vital. [YES!]

.... Ruslana (Ruslana Lezhychko), she won the Eurovision Song Contest in 2004 with the song "Wild Dances"..... Orange Revolution.... Ruslana supported it then....

.... Ukrainian punk rock band FliT from different periods of their work. Although they themselves call their direction of music "intellectual punk rock"....
Oh my God, FLIT! They may not be that well-known but I know them now and their music is GREAT!! I'm an old Punk Rocker (not 'old' but I used to follow some of that) and the first song that you posted up there sounds almost like classic western Punk. I love it!

Ruslana and Orange Revolution.... I also saw her in the Netflix film "Winter On Fire", Maidan 2014-2015. That really made me a fan of hers. (Please know that there is also an Oliver Stone film of Maidan out there, but it's junk, very dishonest. Don't get that film confused with "Winter On Fire" which was all about the people.)

I could write so much more but trying not to make this too long (thank you again for being so informative) I want to just throw this song out here because it's kind of my present Punk-ish favorite. Kind of techno-punk or something. Lykke Li, Swedish, about my age, this was the very first song of hers that I discovered about 12 years ago. She isn't really Punk, she has her very own sound but it's raw and simple and I love her early music to death. This is an original version of "I Follow Rivers":

My favorite version of that song can be found on youtube if you search "i follow rivers magician remix extended" (without the quotes!), it should be near the top. It was for me here in the USA anyway.

Last edited by Roguette; 10-30-2023 at 08:01 PM.
Roguette is offline   Reply With Quote