Music Banter - View Single Post - Rishi Sunak says 'a man is a man and a woman is a woman'
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2023, 11:16 AM   #30 (permalink)
jadis
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadis View Post
Beautifully put.

Yet what makes this indeterminacy possible is that sex is one of the two poles here.

Once you "make it more flexible by including trans," you're by necessity discarding sex and are left with gender alone, which happens to be the exact goal of trans activism. My views on why this is ill-advised are known. It's not about flexibility but about power.
Once the view expressed in the quote below found its way out of grad seminars (where I was exposed to it and found it fascinating, esp as I've dealt a lot with Butler's critique of Foucault and French thought in general, which is very smart and original) and into societal institutions,

Quote:
The very subject of women is no longer understood in stable or abiding terms.
—Judith Butler (1989, p. 1)
this is where it leads

Quote:
Her penis was erect and sticking out of the top of her trousers.
—Charlotte Dangerfield prosecuting Karen White (Evans, McCann, and Rudgard 2018)
Btw there's been a lot of talk about Butler in Israel recently after this pearl of wisdom went viral. In her writings about gender there's the same unwillingness to consider the real world applications of Theory.
jadis is offline   Reply With Quote