Music Banter - View Single Post - It's the news
Thread: It's the news
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2023, 04:56 AM   #128 (permalink)
jadis
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Monday View Post
Yeah obviously, but I'm lazy and not talking to one of those people so I can use a shortcut and just call it xenophobia, which is still boils down to if you have to generalise it
Yeah I know what you mean by laziness. I'm no stranger to it. But as a citizen of Canada I feel I can no longer afford it.

For decades I've seen and heard certain things in Montreal I knew were unacceptable but passed them over in silence because in the cool milieu you're not supposed to criticize what Arabs and Maghrebians have to say about "Zionists".

Today I think it's every decent person's duty to say "there is a real problem with antisemitism among immigrants from MENA and it has to be addressed." And whoever calls this statement "xenophobic" is a literal enemy as far as I'm concerned because, among other things, this person betrays all the moderate and decent immigrants who don't share these prejudices and have respect for Canada's democratic culture.

I know you share my concern about antisemitism. And probably agree that our democracies are more fragile than we've assumed. As I see it, we should not shirk the deeply uncomfortable converesations about what our liberal consensus has been tacitly cosigning for years.
jadis is offline   Reply With Quote