Music Banter - View Single Post - Rishi Sunak says 'a man is a man and a woman is a woman'
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2023, 04:58 AM   #135 (permalink)
jadis
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
you can't lie about your gender because it's a self-identifier anyway

you just are what you say you are when it comes to gender

typically people present as their gender but even that isn't what makes a man or woman
I agree completely. I just think that it is this hollow usage that makes it, today, a pretty useless concept. "Whatever you say bro" cannot be at the basis of any meaningful social category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
sex may need to be considered in the case of trans women in sports, it's definitely complicated

however it's so clear that you're using the issue as a vehicle for your transphobia that I don't know why you'd even bother being disingenuous
I opened this thread as an attempt to dodge the transphobia allegations but seems like somebody's finally seen through my elaborate charade.

Don't remember if I stated this on this forum or on the other but I feel very differently about those who transition to opt out of their gender* (typically women) compared to those who seek entry into another (typically men, MTFs). For the former I feel lots of compassion, for the latter not so much. The one is about escaping restrictive categories, the other about reifying them, not to mention enforcing a punitive bureacracy around the whole thing.

*Meaning here the set of societal conventions and expectations that you don't choose, so the opposite of an "inner identity"
jadis is offline   Reply With Quote