Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Budgie Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2024, 11:08 AM   #20 (permalink)
galt54
Music Addict

Default Budgie - great hard rock!

I was just checking out old threads "at random" and stumbled on this antediluvian Budgie thread. "Aha!" I thought to myself. I remember them. Back in the early 1970s Budgie were my second favourite hard rack band (after Blue Öyster Cult). I liked Budgie even more than I liked Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin.

But Budgie were, in my considered opinion *very* inconsistent. A small number of their own songs (i.e. original compositions) were superb. But most of the rest of their songs were not melodious and were therefore rather boring. When Budgie were good they were great. But otherwise - meh.

I really liked only about ten of their many original compositions, of the ones (many) which I have heard. My top favourite was Breaking All the House Rules. (Duh! That one is their very most up-tempo, hard-rocking song!) Another favourite Budgie tune of mine is In the Grip of a Tyre-Fitter´s Hand. (Because of that wonderful riff)

I must give some kudos to Budgie for being masters (along with BÖC) of the fine art of coming up with creative song titles. (E.g. my favourite - Nude Disintegrating Parachutist Woman!)
galt54 is offline   Reply With Quote