Music Banter - View Single Post - Music for Dummies
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2006, 08:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
Blackheart
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkaba
I'm making this thread for those who love music but know nothing about it. I post based on what I like when I listen to something, but I can't compare piece A with piece B because I know nothing about technicalities of music. For example why is Neil Peart better then John Bonham? I couldn't tell you, my answer would be such and such because he sounds better.

Some stuff is probably impossible to explain without having a basic understanding of an instrument in the first place, but for those that know their stuff, would you mind helping some of the less informed out a bit.

Things like Scales. And Time Signatures, I know what 4/4 is but I'm not too sure about things like 7/8 or 11/8? Those sorts of things. Also "fills" with drumming etc etc.

Basically, for those that can, can we make this the Music Dictionary.

From what I know about time signatures (which isn't much) the top = number of beats and then the bottom is how the bar is set up. So like 7/8 would be counted 1+2+3+4 then 11/8 would be counted 1+2+3+4+5+6 thats all I think. Like 4/2 would be 1 3 5 7 I think, (but you would still have a 2 in there just play stuff on those numbers)
Then with drum fills? Ummmmm it just fills time, if you hear a 1 minute fill, they are filling 1 minute of time.
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote