Music Banter - View Single Post - How music affects listeners mental health
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2006, 10:44 PM   #54 (permalink)
jr.
Seeker of Peace

Music evokes emotion, especially in the younger generation. These are the people who aren't fully developed, mentally. I'm not saying they're dumb, or anything of the kind. They are simply still growing, forming their ideals and experiencing life's nasty little nuances.

Music is a refuge for young people who aren't quite sure where they fit in yet. It speaks to them directly, on a personal level. They can hide in it, and not be betrayed or hurt by it. Music is something a young person can trust, that's why, when they find something they identify with, they are fiercely loyal to it. It's their friend, and in some cases, their only friend.

As far as music affecting a person's emotional state, of course it does. In what manner, though, sometimes depends on the person's emotional state before they even turned the stereo on. You can see several different examples of that in this thread alone. Everyone listens to music for different reasons.

Some people feel sad, so they play something that will make them feel better. Or, they will play something to intensify that feeling of sadness. It all depends. Do I want to feel better? Or do I want to feed this sadness? Music has that power. It's all about the psyche. Whether it's conscious or not, I couldn't say.

Conversely, sometimes music takes control of your emotion, and there's nothing you can do about it. It directs your emotions. This usually happens unexpectedly. Sometimes that's good, and sometimes that's bad.

I can be brushing my teeth in the morning, and a song will come on that reminds me of a particularly bad time in my life, and it sticks with me all day. Music has that power.

Or, every time I hear any cut from The Cars' first album, and I wonder where Donna is now, 25 years later, if she still wears that perfume. Music has that power.

So, anyway, i guess I didn't really help. LOL. Just an old man rambling.