Music Banter - View Single Post - Controversy
Thread: Controversy
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2006, 03:20 PM   #185 (permalink)
DontRunMeOver
They call me Tundra Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by right-track
Yep. That and Scandinavian. The Vikings settled in England, particularly in the North. The English are a mix of German/Norwegian/Danish/Norman.
I'm pretty sure that's not true. When the Romans came to Britain, there were already plenty of people here - Celtic tribes, but referred to as 'The Britons' nowadays. Various peoples from mainland Europe came and settled, pillaged or invaded (such fun they had in them days) and some English ancestry stems from them, but the majority of the population has been found (via mitochondrian DNA testing and that there maternal DNA testing, yes I read this all in New Scientist because I'm that sad) to come from the original celtic people who came over here 3000 years or more ago. In York and few places in the North East there was found to be some Viking ancestry and in East Anglia there were a lot of German genes (we know who to blame for Essex), but everywhere else in England there was surprisingly little Saxon/Angle/Viking/Norman descent.

Culturally and linguistically, however, England has been very influenced by the Germans, Normans and Scandinavians, as the aristocracy in Britain came from these groups and they were in the best position to dictate cultural values. Even now, our queen is German, and her husband is Greek.

Also, you forgot to mention Punjabi and Pakistani .
DontRunMeOver is offline   Reply With Quote