Music Banter - View Single Post - Essay: Music and Politics Anyone have input??
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2006, 10:18 AM   #19 (permalink)
DontRunMeOver
They call me Tundra Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudgrljungalist
The basis for my thesis is "Do music and politics influence each other in the same capacity?" (proving that no they do not). I'll keep y'all "posted" on the progress.
To add a bit of personal opinion now, I think that music and politics don't influence each other in the same capacity. Music does have an effect on politics, but the reverse effect is much greater. Politics regularly affects every aspect of music, from giving lyrical inspiration for songwriters to affecting whether schoolchildren (who may become musicians) have access to free music lessons. Laws relating to live performance, laws governing distribution of recorded music, strength of economies and the amount of expendable income each person has... money which can be directed into playing or listening to music...all of these issues - even the importing of instruments or of appropriate materials for making the instrument - are dependent on politics.

Music does affect politics, as it can provide rallying calls, create awareness of political issues and can be a great propoganda tool (e.g. RATM don't tend to give the pro-authority side of the argument). I don't think that this effect is anywhere near as great, though.
DontRunMeOver is offline   Reply With Quote