Music Banter - View Single Post - Frances The Mute or De-Loused In The Comatorium?
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2006, 03:22 PM   #31 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don
Where's the - "Neither; The Mars Volta are one of the worst things to ever happen to prog rock and aren't even classified as prog due to their mainstream qualities and lack of any musical talent, despite so many people thinking they're cool for listening to them; thinking they're prog when all they play is boring experimental music" - option?
Do I just not vote? Oh, sorry...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don
Do I have to back it up? Just put on one of their cds, then after that put on any random real prog album on (see top20album thread), and enjoy the laughs.

EDIT (I decided to answer him properly): If we compare it to actual good prog rock then:
Their songs don't go anywhere. The singing is terrible in general (see Thom Yorke/Russel Allen/James LaBrie for actual singers). Basically, nothing exciting happens in any of their songs. There's no layering, and if there is it's just annoying experimental crap. The chords and progressions are simple and predictable. There is not one talented band member from what we hear, i.e no real guitar solos/keyboard solos or complex time signatures/key changes. Not to mention the appalling lyrics which I feel I could have written when I was 12.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don
Actually words like "boring" is obviously my opinion (it's a forum, you don't have to keep saying it's my opinion), but it's obviously not an opinion when I start to talk musically and don't use words like "crap"; it's fact.

I know you're long gone, but i still can't help but laugh at your mind blowing stupidity and hypocrisy, we'll miss you Don.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote