Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Metallica Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2006, 10:44 AM   #250 (permalink)
PostPsychosis
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Magnet
No it isn't. The drums just sound like shit.

Nu-metal is 'stock' riffs with tedious drumming, inaudible bass, and some fat, bald Phil Anselmo wannabe doing vocals. St. Anger was not a nu-metal record. Most of the riffs are great, and despite the shitty drum sound, Lars is drumming his ass off on the album. The bass could have been better, but what do you expect? Rob wasn't even in the band until after the album was recorded. It may not be Metallica's best record, but it is a step in the right direction. At least they're a metal band once again. Load and Reload were not metal albums. I like them, but they were not metal albums.

So if it has no solos, it's automatically nu-metal, and it's automatically not good? Give me a break. Solos are unimportant.

Apparently you don't play guitar. Not one song on the album is in Drop D tuning, and even if there was a song in Drop D tuning, why would it matter? The tuning does not determine the genre of the music, and it certainly does not determine whether or not the music is good.

Well at least you've got one thing right.

Read.

And for Christ sake, quit expecting Master Of Puppets II every time Metallica releases an album. St. Anger is not Master Of Puppets, Ride The Lightning is not Load, Reload is not Kill 'Em All, ...And Justice For All is not Garage, Inc. Many of you 'metalheads' may not be used to bands doing this, but Metallica changes between releases. Metallica are divergent from your conventional thrash metal band. There are recognizable differences between each album.

Does St. Anger sound exactly the same as Kill 'Em All? No, but the attitude behind each album is correlative.
Wow I never ever said that Nu metal was defined by guitar solos. And actually i do play guitar, and not only that I own the OFFICIAL ST ANGER TAB BOOK most of the songs are drop D down a step, with some others being drop D down a step and a half. But you don't have to have the book to know that, just watch the DVD that comes with the CD and you can see that all the power chords are being played with one finger, so if you play guitar my friend, you must be horrible. I couple of things I've said about St. Anger (maybe not on this forum) is that I don't expect MOP or the old stuff, I like it when bands take a chance and go somewhere new, just not somewhere nu. I think Lars did a great job of drumming but the recording was horrendous on it. The riffs were interchangeable for the most part and it got repetitive. When all you've got is verse chorus verse chorus bridge verse chorus, the song shouldn't be 8 minutes long, it should be about 4.

Also you've contradicted yourself a few times, saying my only criteria for it being nu metal was the absence of solos, but then saying I also used the tuning of the guitars as criteria. If you want a good way of telling if it's nu metal, it's probaly drop D (which St. Anger is in, drop your E string next time you play Frantic, i gurantee you it will sound less ****ty). However I know the rule doesn't always stick, there are drop D songs that aren't nu metal, some Pantera for example, and some nu metal I'm sure somewhere that uses standard tuning. Also their are nu metal bands that have guitar solos, such as Slipknot and Disturbed's last albums, however this is the exception not the rule.

Also the tuning on most of the songs on St. Anger C-G-C-F-A-D
But you should know that, I guess I might as well call you on it...
What is drop d tuning?
The Wrath of Heavens Coming Down
PostPsychosis is offline   Reply With Quote