Music Banter - View Single Post - THE ONLY Tool Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2006, 09:25 PM   #153 (permalink)
Merkaba
Whitewater!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostPsychosis
I suppose if thats what you like, but as I said lyrics don't do a whole lot for me. They are welcome but lyrics have never made or broken a song for me.
I somewhat agree. Lyrics have never broken a song for me (we'll exclude pop music to make this statement true) but then some lyrics have made a song for me, songs like Aenima and Reflection.
Reflection could be considered hard to sit through but the lyrics are quite spiritual and do make a significant difference to the song. It starts to feel like a journey rather then 11 minutes of tribal music. While Aenima's lyrics engulf the listener with emotion's of dispair and rage, situated perfectly alongside the music.
Tool's magic lies in their ability to match the tone of the music to the theme and emotion of the lyrics. Think about this for a second, apply it to songs like 'The Grudge', 'Bottom', 'Ticks and Leeches', '10,000 Days', 'Aenima'.

10,000Days particularly, if you don't pay much due to the idea of the lyrics then chances are it's going to be a long 12 minutes. Maynard sings with a sense of sorrow and grievance, thus the music is cold and errie. Probably not much fun if you don't really feel the want to put yourself in his position.