Music Banter - View Single Post - System of a Down
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2006, 09:04 PM   #893 (permalink)
Merkaba
Whitewater!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo
Commerford isn't amazing, but he is very underrated.... He's great with the slap too.
Not amazing, but really enjoyable and suprisingly noticible for a bass player in a band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungalowbill357
I agree with whoever said they were like Playskool My First Political Band.
I'll say it again, if you want good politics in your music, I just can't find it in rock music. Rap is tenfold greater in my opinion when it comes to producing artists who can articulate a political message. Immortal Technique, Dead Prez, JMT. They all do it so much better than SOAD or RATM could ever do.
Country/Folk music also produces musicians who are just so much better at poltical music. Nu Metal is laughable, not political.
I think there is a solid reason why a decent political message is hard to come by in a rock song. Rap artists can practically fire off an entire essay in under 4 minutes on comprehensive politics. Now if we try to stick Immortal Technique's comprehensive political lyrics into a rock song (nu-metal or not), it's not going to work. It would be a fifteen minute song by which time radio stations and listeners around the world will have gone back to Craig David.

The reason being there is a key difference between Rap and practically anything else, and thats the fact that 'anything else' often take the time to sing clearly, therefore not producing 40 words a minute, therefore often not producing a detailed argument in 4 minutes.

With Rock or Nu-Metal or whatever, it is far harder to convey a comprehensive message in such a limited time, which means the lyrics, if they're to be any good, will need to be either very cryptic in that the listener not only has to think about them, but the listener will form their own ideas of things. Or alternatively, the lyrics need to be refreshing, and touch on points that are new and aren't heard of on the Cletus bandwagon of cliched bands.

Bands like SOAD and Greenday are just having their say on things, and while it is cheesy to those that have heard it all before, and have heard better, it would take some serious talent to create something new and clever that impresses us lyrically and politically.

Don't expect to find a great political message from any rock song, just be impressed if you do.