Music Banter - View Single Post - Rush
Thread: Rush
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2006, 07:03 PM   #68 (permalink)
tdoc210
ashes against the grain

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo
My favorite was Kirk Hammett at number 11 above Jerry Garcia, Jeff Beck, Carlos Santana, The Edge, Mark Knopfler, Diik Dale, John Fahey, Steve Cropper, Bo Diddley, Brian May, John Fogerty, Robert Fripp, Eddie Hazel, Scotty Moore, Frank Zappa, Les Paul, T Bone Walker, John McLaughlin, Pete Townshend, Tom Verlaine, Jorma Kaukonen, Dicky Betts, Link Wray, Mick Ronson, Steve Howe, Eddie Van Halen, Lightnin' Hopkins, Johnny Winter, Robert Quinn, David Gilmour, Randy Rhoads, Tony Iommi, D.Boon, Robby Krieger, Angus Young and Greg Ginn... And then theres all the other great players they left out... Chet Atkins, Django Reinhardt, Andres Segovia, Paco De Lucia, Sabicas, John Williams, Wes Montgomery, Michael Hedges, Phil Keaggy, Carl Perkins, Duane Eddy, Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen, Doc Watson, Roy Clark, Albert King, Billy Gibbons, Pat Matheny, Joe Pass, Allan Holdsworth, Leo Kottke, Derek Bailey, Fred Frith, Mark Ribot, Steve Hacket, Alex Lifeson, Adrian Belew, Johnny Marr, Billy Zoom, East Bay Ray and several others.

And of course, Kurt Cobain and Jack White in the top 20 is completely laughable (i think both are great, but top 20 players they are not).... On the bright side, i was happy to see John Frusciante, Jonny Greenwood, Ed O'Brien, Tom Morello, Adam Jones, Kevin Shields, Thurston Moore, Vernon Reid, Trey Anastasio and Derek Trucks make the list.. They're among the best guitarists we have today, IMO.... And i was amused to see Johnny Ramone so high on a greatest guitarists list, however i do think he deserves to be in the top 100, for his overwhelming influence alone, but not at freaking 16, someone in the 70s/80s region would have been more appropiate... Anyway, i don't think the list is completely bad, i'll give credit where its due and i think Dave Fricke (who likes teh prog, so he can't be all bad) tried his best to offer an alternative to standard guitarist lists... I was happy that the list wasn't plump full of shredders and neo classical wankers like Batio and Cooley.... But overall the list lacked consistancy, it simply should have been called Rolling Stones 100 FAVORITE guitarists of all time, no one should complain then.
this makes me sad
We went back there and they had come and hacked off every inoculated arm. There they were in a pile. A pile of little arms. And I remember... I... I... I cried. I wept like some grandmother. I wanted to tear my teeth out. I didn't know what I wanted to do. And I want to remember it. I never want to forget it. I never want to forget. And then I realized... like I was shot... like I was shot with a diamond... a diamond bullet right through my forehead. And I thought: My God... the genius of that.
tdoc210 is offline   Reply With Quote