Music Banter - View Single Post - Mb Awards Voting!!!
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2006, 05:02 PM   #59 (permalink)
adidasss
Slavic gay sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr.
Well, I certainly don't take any offense. I listen to a lot of newer music. The last three cds I bought were Yellowcard, Hawthorne Heights and Panic at the Disco. Granted, they were for my daughter, for getting straight A's and perfect attendance throughout 6th grade. I will be hearing all these bands, though, on a regular basis. I enjoy Greenday, Bowling for Soup, Fallout Boys, Good Charlotte, some Arctic Monkeys, and some others whose names escape me right now. I couldn't tell you the names of all the songs, but I can pretty much distinguish one band from another.

Now some people may dump on those bands, but they're what my daughter listens to, so it's what I'm exposed to. She's 11, and fortunately for her, she hasn't become jaded and dislikes bands because they don't fit into a certain 'genre' or they're 'trying to be this or that'. She just enjoys the music for what it is, with no preconcieved notions about what it's 'supposed to be'. Just like her dad.

And as far as posting only about stuff from the 70's, I am of the notion that a person should only make objective posts, on subjects they are knowledgable about. I grew up in that time, so I know a lot about those bands and that era. It's not the only music I listen to, nor is it the only music I know about. It is, however, the one genre I feel I know well enough to post something that someone else might get something from. This is a music site, why not go with your strong suite. I'd rather do that than go from thread to thread, making posts about bands I'm not familiar with and make myself look foolish, while detracting from an otherwise good music duscussion in the process.
first of all there is no such thing as being objective with regards to music, you can only voice your opinion, which is subjective by default.
second, i would be much happier if you went into those threads about newer bands, read what others have said about the bands music and possibly download something or go to the myspace page, then come back and clog up the conversation by saying "i hate it" .at least that way i would know that you're open to new music. but you said it yourself, the new music you listen to is predominantly music your daughter listens to ( so you're essentially forced to listen to it ). why not use this forum to DISCOVER new music and maybe even make your daughter happy by suggesting a few bands? you may be 40-ish, but there's no reason for you to be oblivious to what's going on in music right now...

Last.fm