Music Banter - View Single Post - Mb Awards Voting!!!
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2006, 06:12 PM   #65 (permalink)
jr.
Seeker of Peace

I just went and took a look at my cds, and I own music spanning 60 years, all the way up to today. I own bluegrass, rock, country, folk, new wave, big band, techno pop, classic rock, disco, prog, metal, blues and everything in between. Some I own a lot of, some I own a little. The point is, I listen to a wide variety of music.

Does the fact that I am not in close contact with today's music make me close minded? Or is it the fact that there are bands out there that I don't care for? I don't like rap. and I don't own any. But that isn't because I have never given it a chance. I worked with a guy for seven years, who listened to rap all the time. I liked Biggie, but the rest, I didn't care for. Because it wasn't appealing to my musical ear, does that make me close minded? Your 'old geezer music' comment was far more close minded than anything I have ever said about any music on these boards.

Let me ask you this adidasss....what time span does your music collection cover? How many genres? Is it only close minded if you're not into today's music? Does it only work one way? Does it work for people who don't listen to geezer music? Is that close minded, not listening to music because it's 'old'?

Because if not, then there is a double standard as to what 'close minded' means.

*EDIT* I also forget to mention, besides the cds I bought for my daughter, I have bought for myself in the last few months, Bruce Springsteen's new cd, which consist of folk, country, a touch of bluegrass and even some ragtime. I've also bought the new Dixie Chicks cd (bland compared to their other three), and James Blunt, not to mention Dean Martin's greatest hits.

Also, I own 4 cds by R. Carlos Nakai. A Native American flutist. It's very enriching, spiritually. I own a lot of music like that. Exploratory stuff. Can you make the same claim?

I'm not hear to argue, or cause trouble. It simply disturbed me to be considered close minded when I know I am probably the owner of a wider variety of music than most people here.